Friday, April 5, 2013

Four Current NFL Players Considering Coming Out As Gay

Another day…another gay rights story. Listen, I am all for doing what you want in your own time but  I don’t care to hear or know about it while I’m trying to enjoy a nice day Sportscenter…AND I don’t have to agree with you. Does that make me judgmental? No. Does that mean I’m condemning you to hell? No. But name-calling and stereo-typing those of us who disagree with you as a bigot, homophobe, or intolerable is exactly what you don’t want done to you. I have a right to speak my opinion on the subject without being verbally attacked just as you have a right to speak yours without being attacked! *steps off soapbox*. Now that’s out of the way…..
Brendon Ayanbadejo, who was recently cut by the Baltimore Ravens, spoke out praising the organization for “laying the groundwork” for gay players to come out of the closet.
The Ravens terminated the linebacker’s contract Thursday. But the married father-of-2 praised the Ravens for supporting his SELF-APPOINTED role as the NFL spokesman for gay marriage.
Ayanbadejo said the Ravens have laid the groundwork for as many as 4 active NFL players to come out of the closet. It is assumed that all 4 gay players are on the Ravens roster.
“I think it will happen sooner than you think,” Ayanbadejo said. “We’re in talks with a handful of players who are considering it. There are up to four players being talked to right now and they’re trying to be organized so they can come out on the same day together. It would make a major splash and take the pressure off one guy. It would be a monumental day if a handful or a few guys come out.
“Of course, there would be backlash. If they could share the backlash, it would be more positive. It’s cool. It’s exciting. We’re in talks with a few guys who are considering it. The NFL and organizations are already being proactive and open if a player does it and if something negative happens. We’ll see what happens.”
I don’t know what his agenda is but he’s clearly engrossed in all this for some reason. I have a feeling that he may be know one of these 4 players. Either way does it really matter? Do we care to know the orientation of players or are they making a big deal out of this?  What do you think?
Follow me @beautyofsports

No comments: