Tuesday, September 4, 2012

My Fantasy Football Team

Today was the day that my Fantasy Football season officially began! I had the #1 overall pick and I was indecisive up until it was time to actual make my pick. I have participated in several mock drafts, prepared my cheat sheets, ranked my positional players… and then ranked them again. It has been a grueling few weeks but I must say…I am happy with the fantasy team I drafted.  
After telling myself to focus on the league with the money prize, I ended up in 4 fantasy leagues (2 prize leagues, 2 for fun but with a purpose). I am in a league with fellow female sports bloggers and then we have a league at the job that is pretty serious as well. Not to down play my other the leagues, but Necessary Roughness is the only league I pay to play in where the bragging rights mean more than the prize, therefore, I’m all in! From this point forward I am speaking only of Necessary Roughness (NR).
I've played fantasy football  for the past 5 years and it gets better and better every year. I’ve made the championship 3 out of the 4 years I’ve been with NR with a semi-final round outing last year (I was hit with the injury bug). Thing is this…I’ve never actually won the championship (in this league). However, I am going to go on record and claim that I will be crowned CHAMPION in my Necessary Roughness FFL. Why do I say that? Well I’m glad you asked!
First of all, I have never played a fantasy season without Roddy White. With the #1 overall pick this year in a snake draft I figured he wouldn’t fall to me at #24 (I wasn’t taking him #1 overall) so I mentally prepared myself to be without the love of my fantasy life for the first time in 5 years. I decided to go RB(1), RB(24), WR(25) for my top 3 picks. Considering how the mock drafts had played out, I figured I can get a QB later and the WR position is VERY deep so I can pick up more WR later as well. There are 12 teams in our league and we have customized scoring with and a snake draft. So as the 45 seconds we have to make our selection ticked off the clock, I made the rest of the league wait for my #1 pick. At 5 seconds left on the clock…I selected Arian Foster! The rest is history.. Here are my top picks……..
 (1).Arian Foster, RB, Texans:
Foster had the first three games of '11 wrecked by a hamstring injury and he sat out the season finale, and he still finished fourth in fantasy points among all RBs. The shortage of elite running backs this year made it easy for me take a RB over a QB at #1.
(24). Roddy White,WR Falcons Yes, he fell to me! I could not believe it. As the coaches were making their picks and it got closer to I saw Roddy running towards me and when the time came I snatched him off the board. Iw ould say that is fateJ NR is a PPR league (points per reception) and he led the NFL in targets and was second in receptions last season, has never missed a game in his seven-season NFL career, and has been a top-seven fantasy WR in each of the past four seasons. On the other hand, White led the NFL in drops in '11 (with 14) and now faces life with a maturing Julio Jones opposite him. But I’ll take him just the way he is!
(25) Greg Jennings,WR, Packers
Jennings wasn't even the most valuable fantasy WR on his own team last season and didn't eclipse 1,000 yards receiving, but I’ll still take him as a definite fantasy starter in 2012. Last year Jennings was on pace for a career-high 87 grabs for 1,239 yards and 12 TDs, which would have put him fifth among fantasy WRs. He’s one of the best route-runners in the game and has Aaron Rodgers' throwing him the ball. Jordy Nelson is a beast on the deep ball, but I think that plays to Jennings' advantage this season, as defenses give Nelson more attention. That will free up Jennings for another monster year.
The rest of my team:
Antonio Brown, WR,  Steelers.
Doug Martin, RB, Buccaneers (Rookie)
Phillip Rivers
(yes, I took QB back to back…..the guy drafting after me had to scramble!)
Fred Davis, TE, Redskins
49ers D/ST
Nate Washington, WR, Titans
Toby Gerhart, RB Vikings
Stephen Gostkowski, NE K
Mike Tolbert, Car RB
Coby Fleener, Ind TE
James Jones, GB WR

We also have a policy that is you are unable to make the draft and your selections are “AutoPick”, your 3rd and 4th picks go back on the waiver wire so other coaches can bid on them. Needless to say I won the bid for Michael Vick. Trades are being offered because I have 3 QB’s now but I’m going to sit on them for now (trade bait).
Let me know what you think of my team!

No comments: